August 18, 2007 by dennis
spathiwa released a new version of iPhone Frotz. iPhone Frotz is an interpreter for oldschool text-based adventure games by Infocom from the late 70’s and 80’s (such as Zork, Planetfall, Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, etc…). As before iPhone Frotz requires a jailbreaked and ssh enabled iPhone (see iPhone hacks for more on that). Of course, it’s suggested to upgrade to this version if you have an older one.
To install from binary distribution:
1. Download and extract the iphoneFrotz-X.Y.tar.gz file.
2. Copy the resulting Frotz.app directory to your iPhone.
3. Create a directory /var/root/Library/Frotz/Games /var/root/Media/Frotz/Games on your iPhone and copy your Z-Machine game data files there.
2007/08/14 UPDATE: The Frotz directory has been moved to /var/root/Media/Frotz/Games as of version 0.2 so you can use iPhuc, etc. to copy the files more easily.
If you already have game or save files in the old location, iPhoneFrotz 0.2 will move them to the new location automatically on first launch.
This update also enables auto-saving of games when the phone goes to sleep or back to the SpringBoard menu — this worked in 0.1 only if you knew to create the ‘Saves’ directory by hand.
NOTE: A NEWER VERSION OF IPHONE FROTZ IS NOW AVAILABLE. PLEASE DOWNLOAD IPHONE FROTZ V0.4 INSTEAD OF THE VERSION YOU SEE HERE.
- iFrotz v0.4 text based adventure games interpreter for iPhone
- Zork lives on iPhone! Frotz Z-Machine Interpreter for iPhone v0.1
- iPhone Text Adventures Games from Malinche Entertainment
Sign up to receive latest iPhone World news and updates via e-mail, RSS, Twitter or Facebook!