September 2, 2007 by dennis
spathiwa released a new version of iFrotz. iFrotz is an interpreter for oldschool text-based adventure games by Infocom from the late 70’s and 80’s (such as Zork, Planetfall, Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, etc…) based on open source FROTZ emulator. As before, iFrotz requires a jailbreaked and ssh enabled iPhone (see our iPhone hacks section if you’d like to jailbreak your iPhone). Of course, it’s suggested to upgrade to this version if you have an older one.
To install from binary distribution:
1. Download and extract the iFrotz-X.Y.tar.gz file.
2. Copy the resulting Frotz.app directory to your iPhone.
3. Create a directory /var/root/Media/Frotz/Games on your iPhone and copy your Z-Machine game data files there.
Or just update using the Installer.app or PXL installers, sold separately..
Version 0.4 now supports:
* Landscape mode
* Text re-flow on selecting a new font or rotating the phone
* Limited IF-specific word completion (‘x’ -> ‘examiine’, etc.)
* Improved stability of the auto-save feature
Special thanks to allen.porter for helping with landscape keyboard support.
- iPhone Frotz v0.3 text based adventure games interpreter
- Zork lives on iPhone! Frotz Z-Machine Interpreter for iPhone v0.1
- iPhone Text Adventures Games from Malinche Entertainment
Sign up to receive latest iPhone World news and updates via e-mail, RSS, Twitter or Facebook!