December 7, 2007 by dennis
Wixi, Inc., a media social network where users interact with each other by privately sharing media content, including photos, audio and video, announced today the launch of Wixi iPhone. The mobile platform will allow users to access and stream their Wixi media files through their iPhone’s Safari Web browser by accessing http://iphone.wixi.com.
“Wixi’s vision is to allow its users to access their media anywhere and play it everywhere,” explains co-founder and CEO Arthur Madrid. “Expanding our online desktop to a mobile platforms was the next logical step for Wixi – allowing users who aren’t in front of their computers the ability to access their music, photos and videos from their phones, on the go.”
Wixi iPhone offers a streamlined version of the full platform for mobile viewing. Users can:
* Access their Wixi public pages or those of their friends through user-specific URLS – http://iphone.wixi.com/username (replace last part by the desired wixi username), and click through to their friends’ public pages to browse their files
* Stream all media content specifically encoded for the Apple iPhone: MP3 audio, JPG pictures and MP4 high quality videos
* Browse the Wixi iPhone portal to see what new content has been uploaded by the Wixi community
* Search for any specific media on the network
At present, users will not be able to log in to their Wixi desktops or upload media content from their iPhones but these features are already planned for future versions. Feedback from the Wixi Beta tester community will guide expanded offerings for the mobile platform.
“Our development efforts have been influenced by our Beta testers. We have a community that is very active in our forums and with providing our development team with excellent feedback. It has helped us continue to develop an outstanding product,” added Madrid.
Since its launch at TechCrunch40, Wixi is a private, invitation-only social network. Over 30,000 Beta testers have joined the Wixi network, sharing over 300,000 files with the community. All uploaded files are automatically converted to be played in high definition with one universal flash player, making multimedia streaming easy from anywhere. Privacy settings by file allow users to determine who they share their media with – from friends and family or fellow Wixi users, or with the world. Wixi offers three GB of media storage for free, or people can subscribe to a premium service, which offers ad-free, unlimited storage.
- Wixi for iPhone in public beta
- Multiply social network on iPhone
- Zannel launches mobile social instant-messenger site for iPhone
Sign up to receive latest iPhone World news and updates via e-mail, RSS, Twitter or Facebook!