June 20, 2009 by dennis
Called redsn0w by its creators, this free program will allow you to jailbreak and unlock the Apple iPhone 2G (original iPhone), the Apple iPhone 3G, and the iPod Touch (both first and second generation). It provides the same functionality that the older unlock hack QuickPwn did, but with support for firmware v3.0
Please note that this version of redsn0w (v0.7 for Mac and v0.71 for Windows) does not unlock the new iPhone 3GS, so don’t even try to use it if you have one!
Please also note that if you’ve already used yellowsn0w to unlock the iPhone 3G this program will not work for you at this stage (explanation on why it won’t work is below).
redsn0w is available for both Windows and Mac powered computers, but there’s some issues with Mac PPC support for now, so technically it only works with Intel Macs if you’ve got an Apple computer (that should be fixed in later versions of the program).
NOTE: please read important release notes below before downloading and running this program.
IMPORTANT: OFFICIAL RELEASE NOTES
1. GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a 3G iPhone with yellowsn0w and rely on yellowsn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should NOT use redsn0w right now. Ultrasn0w (the 3G carrier unlock) is not included with this release and therefore your baseband will be locked and unable to use an operator other than the official one it was bought for. UltraSn0w will be released via APT (cydia and icy) soon. If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.0 carrier unlock works with this redsn0w release.
2. Yellowsn0w in its current form will NOT work with the baseband version that is present in the 3.0 update, you will need Ultrasn0w, which will be released sometime soon, Ultrasn0w will work with all iPhone 3G models (but not 3GS), even ones that were previously unlockable, Ultrasn0w (when available) will be released via APT (this means you will be able to get it via Cydia or Icy).
3. Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
4. Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
5. At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the latest version of redsn0w.
6. This app is suitable for the recent 3.0 release
7. redsn0w will NOT work for the iPhone 3GS.
8. redsn0w WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), Original iPod touch, iPod touch 2G and the iPhone 3G (not the iPhone 3GS).
To use redsn0w simply upgrade the device in iTunes to firmware version 3.0 and run redsn0w to activate and jailbreak the device (and if you are using an original iPhone 2G, it will unlock it too!)
- Download: redsn0w v0.72 (Mac / Windows) firmware v3.0 iPhone 2G / 3G, iTouch jailbreak / unlock tool
- Download: redsn0w v0.8 (Linux / Mac / Windows) firmware v3.0 iPhone 2G / 3G / 3GS, iTouch jailbreak / unlock tool
- Jailbreak / Unlock iPhone (2G / 3G / 3GS) v3.0.1 firmware with redsn0w / ultrasn0w
Sign up to receive latest iPhone World news and updates via e-mail, RSS, Twitter or Facebook!