October 11, 2010 by Brian
Note that it’s not supposed to be used with iOS 4.01 or iOS 4.1.
TO REPEAT THIS: PWNAGE TOOL 4.01 ONLY WORKS WITH iOS 4.0.
Pwnage Tool (Mac) v4.01
And please do read the official release notes from the iPhone Dev Team below.
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST CAREFULLY, THERE ARE KNOWN UPGRADE TRAPS AND DIFFERENT UPGRADE SCENARIOS THAT NEED TO BE FULLY UNDERSTOOD AND CONSIDERED BEFORE USING THESE TOOLS.
Each supported device has few different scenarios that users need to consider when performing the upgrades, you need to check below and perform the upgrade in the particular way that matches your current device state.
NB: With PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01 certain devices are not supported this is because they are not supported in iOS 4.0 or they are not supported by our software. We’re working on ways to get past these restrictions.
* iPhone 2G – not supported
* iPod Touch – not supported
* iPod Touch 3G – not supported
PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01 only recognizes the official IPSWs that came out yesterday. If you had developer access to the “4.0 GM” IPSWs, do not try to use those.
Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.
* If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
* If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01
* If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.01 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
* If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.01 ipsw using DFU mode.
* If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
* As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on iPhone 3G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.
iPod touch 2G
* If you have an iPod touch 2G (non-MC model) that is jailbroken (but not with Spirit) then you can restore using recovery mode.
* As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on non-MC iPod Touch 2G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
* As you probably know by now, ultrasn0w has been updated to cover all basebands from 04.26.08 onward. Many thanks to @sherif_hashim for finding the crashing command that the new ultrasn0w 0.93 uses! He worked hard at finding the crash, and he kept it confidential until the right time to use it.
* Major props to @oranav (who found the earlier +xlog crash). He also had this crashing command!
* iPhone 3G and 3GS baseband unlockers (those who rely on ultrasn0w to make phone calls) should always be very wary to update their firmware, however our Ultrasn0w application will unlock all recent (including the current) 3GS and 3G baseband firmware versions. Once you are jailbroken using PwnageTool 4.01, install ultrasn0w from Cydia and you’ll be unlocked.
* Remember! This baseband unlock situation is rare, should you upgrade your iPhone blindly at the next iOS release please don’t expect an unlock – but for now you are OK (whatever state your baseband is in).
- Download: Pwnage Tool 4.1.2 (iOS 4.1 jailbreak / unlock for iPhone, iPad, iTouch)
- Download: Pwnage tool 4.1.1 (updated version) iOS 4.1 iPhone / iPad / iTouch jailbreak / unlock hack
- Download: Pwnage Tool 4.1 for Mac OS X (iPhone iOS 4.1 unlock!)
Sign up to receive latest iPhone World news and updates via e-mail, RSS, Twitter or Facebook!