November 28, 2010 by Brian
This free iPhone hack enables you to unlock iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS basebands 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04 and 06.15.00, iPhone 4 on 01.59.00 as well as the iPad on baseband 06.15.00 (that’s iOS 3.2.2).
So in reality only iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS devices can be unlocked on iOS 4.2.1, while iPhone 4 owners will need to wait for a while to get an unlock for this firmware version.
UPDATE – READ THIS!!!! Warning: Ultrasn0w 1.2 iPhone baseband 06.15.00 unlock might break GPS capabilities
And below are the official release notes from the iPhone Dev Team, make sure you read them to understand everything.
1. Read and fully understand the warning below.
2. If you have an old-bootrom 3GS and are already unlockable but want to get to 4.2.1, please wait til we release an “unofficial” bundle for you. Read no further.
3. Read update #1 for an updated 3GS bundle.
4. Download this IPSW
5. Run PwnageTool to create a custom 4.1 IPSW. Tell it you want to use the iPad baseband you just downloaded. Restore to this custom IPSW.
6. Install ultrasn0w through Cydia
8. If you don’t have a Mac, redsn0w will be released within a few hours to handle this.
Update #1: There’s an error in the bundle for the iPhone3GS 4.1 that prevents the new baseband from being used. If you know your way around OSX, please download the fixed bundle, and unzip it if Safari hasn’t already done so. Then “Show Package Contents” of PwnageTool.app, navigate to Contents->Resources->FirmwareBundles and drop it there. Otherwise, please wait for the updated PwnageTool, or the OSX version of redsn0w coming soon.
Since 06.15 is a higher version than 05.14 or 05.15 (where AT+XAPP is gone), anyone stuck at those versions can simply upgrade to 06.15 to unlock again! Luckily for us, Apple *still* provides the iPad FW 3.2.2 with this vulnerable baseband right from their own servers. (Grab it now, before they take it down!)
We’ve been busy updating both PwnageTool and redsn0w to make the baseband update as seamless as possible.
1. First up is “PwnageTool 4.1.3 Unlock Edition”. It has a special dialog box which will ask you if you want to update to the iPad baseband. You must already have the iPad 3.2.2 IPSW on your computer (see the above link)….so just point PwnageTool at it (or let it find it on its own if you’re in “simple” mode).
2. Directly after PwnageTool 4.1.3 is available, the official ultrasn0w repo http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com will be updated with ultrasn0w 1.2, which covers iPhone 4 baseband 01.59.00 and iPhone 3G/3GS basebands 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04 and now 06.15.00.
3. Finally, we’ll release an update to redsn0w today for those without Macs and can’t run PwnageTool. The new redsn0w will give you the option to update your baseband to 06.15 too.
WARNING — YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.
1. There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
2. If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
3. Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).
Certainly don’t update to 06.15 if you don’t need to! Only do this if you need the unlock and you’re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and you’re willing to assume the above risks.
NEED A GUIDE FOR ULTRASN0W 1.2? SEE:
- ULTRASN0W 1.2 + REDSN0W 0.9.6B5 UNLOCK VIDEO GUIDE
- ULTRASN0W 1.2 + PWNAGE TOOL 4.1.3 UNLOCK VIDEO GUIDE
- Download: Pwnage Tool 4.1.3 [iOS 4.1 / 4.2.1 iPhone Unlock Edition]
- Download: Pwnage tool 4.1.1 (updated version) iOS 4.1 iPhone / iPad / iTouch jailbreak / unlock hack
- Download: redsn0w 0.9.6b5 iPhone / iPad / iTouch iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak [Mac / Windows]
Sign up to receive latest iPhone World news and updates via e-mail, RSS, Twitter or Facebook!