Download: redsn0w v0.72 (Mac / Windows) firmware v3.0 iPhone 2G / 3G, iTouch jailbreak / unlock tool
June 22, 2009 by dennis
The iPhone Dev Team have released a new version of their jailbreak / unlock tool for the recently released Apple iPhone / iPod Touch firmware v3.0. This new version 0.72 of redsn0w brings some miscellaneous fixes and improvements.
Called redsn0w by its creators, this free program will allow you to jailbreak and unlock the Apple iPhone 2G (original iPhone), and jailbreak the Apple iPhone 3G, and the iPod Touch (both first and second generation).
Please note that this version of redsn0w still does not unlock the new iPhone 3GS, so don’t even try to use it if you have one! You will need to wait for a separate tool called ultrasn0w that should be available soon.
Please also note that if you’ve already used yellowsn0w to unlock the iPhone 3G this program will not work for you at this stage (full explanation on why it won’t work is below).
redsn0w is available for both Windows and Mac powered computers, but there’s some issues with Mac PPC support for now, so technically it only works with Intel Macs if you’ve got an Apple computer (that should be fixed in later versions of the program).
NOTE: please read important release notes below before downloading and running this program.
UPDATE: redsn0w v0.8 is now available featuring iPhone 3GS and Linux support. Download it instead of the version you see here.
NOTE: you can download iPhone firmware v3.0 for your iPhone model here if you need it
UPDATE: ultrasn0w unlock for iPhone 3G is now available – read how to get ultrasn0w here. Note that this version of ultrasn0w still cannot unlock the new iPhone 3GS — and of course we will let you know once a 3GS unlock available.
IMPORTANT: OFFICIAL RELEASE NOTES
1. GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a 3G iPhone with yellowsn0w and rely on yellowsn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should NOT use redsn0w right now. Ultrasn0w (the 3G carrier unlock) is not included with this release and therefore your baseband will be locked and unable to use an operator other than the official one it was bought for. UltraSn0w will be released via APT (cydia and icy) soon. If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.0 carrier unlock works with this redsn0w release.
2. Yellowsn0w in its current form will NOT work with the baseband version that is present in the 3.0 update, you will need Ultrasn0w, which will be released sometime soon, Ultrasn0w will work with all iPhone 3G models (but not 3GS), even ones that were previously unlockable, Ultrasn0w (when available) will be released via APT (this means you will be able to get it via Cydia or Icy).
3. Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
4. Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
5. At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the latest version of redsn0w.
6. This app is suitable for the recent 3.0 release
7. redsn0w will NOT work for the iPhone 3GS.
8. redsn0w WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), Original iPod touch, iPod touch 2G and the iPhone 3G (not the iPhone 3GS).
- Download: redsn0w (Mac / Windows) iPhone 2G / 3G, iTouch jailbreak / unlock hack for firmware v3.0
- Download: redsn0w v0.8 (Linux / Mac / Windows) firmware v3.0 iPhone 2G / 3G / 3GS, iTouch jailbreak / unlock tool
- Jailbreak / Unlock iPhone (2G / 3G / 3GS) v3.0.1 firmware with redsn0w / ultrasn0w
Sign up to receive latest iPhone World news and updates via e-mail, RSS, Twitter or Facebook!